I attended a Google Mobile presentation last night. It was just intended for the local agencies but something I wish all our clients could have attended.
Some revealing stats of what is happening in the Australian & NZ mobile market were presented (unfortunately most of their stats are for AU). But, if anything, it is an indication of what is around the corner for us:
- There are 1 million mobile queries per day in NZ.
- 1 in 5 mobile devices are smartphones in NZ.
- 1 in 2 mobile sales are now a smartphone in NZ.
- 30% of NZ mobile searches have local intent – people want to know what is available nearby.
Of the 30,000 surveyed in Australia:
- The average user has downloaded 25 apps (8 were purchased).
- 36% of restaurant queries during the weekends are from mobile devices – Is your restaurant site optimised for mobile?
- 12% of finance queries are coming from mobile devices.
- 72% have used a smartphone for in-store comparison.
The point to take away from these trends is that mobile is where you need to turn for your digital strategy if you have not already. This is not simply having an app & m.website.com and checking those boxes. It is the whole strategy around mobile users.
Predictions of uptake have been made – often proved under estimated, the data is there and the trends have been realised.
Now, here is what you need to do:
- Create and optimise your mobile presence.
- Make it easy for mobile visitors to get the key info and convert.
People searching on mobile are qualified and ready. Make it easy for them to be your customer.
And still: “It is not too late to be early in mobile.” – Google